Desire Osborne House
The Desire Osborne House is the oldest commercial structure on Main Street in Edgartown. Built just prior to the Revolutionary War at the height of the Georgian period as a residence for an owner of merchant ships, the house remained a private home for 150 years before being converted to commercial use.
A typical Georgian house is a two-story wooden building with a side-gabled roof and a symmetrical arrangement of windows and doors on the front façade. The Desire Osborne House has a clapboard façade with cedar shingles on the sides – a local adaptation to cope more effectively with the sea air found on the island.
This historic structure was acquired by the North Water Street Corporation in 1947 and is now managed and maintained by Vineyard Preservation Trust.
Connect with this landmark
Located in the heart of the commercial core of historic Edgartown, the Desire Osborne House offers rental space for retail stores, artist studios or private offices. Contact us about availability.