Old West Tisbury Library
Built by Moses Mitchell as part of the Mitchell Boys School campus, this Second Empire building served as the West Tisbury Library until 1999 when it was acquired by Vineyard Trust.
The Second Empire architectural style can be traced to France, specifically to the reign of Napoleon III, 1852-1870. The Second Empire style appropriated the design characteristics of several historical styles, departing from the custom of imitating established forms. The Second Empire style is something of a rarity on Martha’s Vineyard, which makes the Old West Tisbury Library rather remarkable.
Connect with this landmark
The Old West Tisbury Library is presently the home of Circuit Arts, a nonprofit organization that operates The Martha’s Vineyard Film Festival, Cinema Circus, Vineyard’s Drive-In, Martha’s Vineyard Children’s Theater Camp and Circuit Films.
West Tisbury, MA